Built in 1863 Corstorphine House has been at the centre of Otago’s political, economic and social life for most of its history. Built by John Sidey, one of the original pioneers to this region, arrived from Scotland in 1848. The House is located in the hill suburb of Corstorphine which takes its name from the house itself and is just 5 minutes from the Octagon in the city centre.
Corstorphine is a private setting on approximately 9 acres, featuring many old and imposing trees, working fountains and a pond with a waterfall. Walk through the beautiful gardens, amongst ferns, rhododendrons and a huge array of old and recently planted roses and many varieties of flowers and shrubs.
An array of fruit and nut trees and varieties of strawberries, black currents, grapes and a selected range of vegetables are grown on the property today.
Recently, as a Boutique Private Hotel, Corstorphine has hosted many famous guests from Prince Charles in 2005, Daniel Craig and Gwyneth Paltrow to name just a few.
The current owner Paul Facoory is well known for his sporting achievements, as an opera singer and a successful businessman. He is keen to share the property with others so that the life and spirit of Corstorphine will live on and continue to be one of Dunedin’s proudest jewels. Many improvements to the property have been made in the short time that Paul has owned the Corstorphine that we can all share and be proud of. The complete refurbishment of the historic conservatory has added another dimension to this impressive and grand property.